Re: dial-up to ethernet

On (18/12/03 17:22), mmissett wrote:

> Apologies first if this if a very basic and/or stupid
> question, but I have not managed to find
> anything about it in the archives and
> documentation that seems to be working.
>   I am running potato on a powerpc (Mac G4)
> and have just changed the computer from
> dial-up to cable internet.  The connection to
> cable is via an ethernet wireless bridge.  As far
> as I can judge, that connection *seems* to be
> up and running properly, but I don't seem to be
> able to access the internet over it.
>   I have the feeling that I'm missing something
> really basic here, but I can't seem to figure out
> what it is.
>   Any assistance would be *most* appreciated.

First, you should consider upgrading to woody - obviously difficult to do
without an internet connection.  However, if you have MacOS running, it
is quite easy to do a hard disk install, via a broadband internet connection.
I am assuming that your connection works on the Mac side.  It is
probable that your NIC will be supported by the woody installer.

I've got a dual processor 450 Mz G4 and it is how I install:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-boot-drive-files

If you have a separate partition, for /home you can perform the install
without touching your data files - remount the /home partition after
installing the base system - before installing too many programs that
place configuration files in $home.

HTH

Clive
--