Re: Alsa+xmms+kde

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 01:39:13PM -0200, uGAH man! wrote:
>    Hi.
>    I have a Creative Live Value (driver emu10k1) and am using debian
> unstable and kernel 2.4.22-k7-1.
>    I've been using the OSS output plugin for XMMS on KDE and have been
> able to play music, although having low quality decoding... (it's
> noticeable)
>    I've tried to install and use the ALSA driver for my sound card, but
> have been unsuccessful...
>    I installed it more or less following this page:
> http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=541&page=1
>
>    I installed everything using apt. Installed the alsa-base and
> alsa-kernel-modules-for-2.4.22-k7-1.
>    I removed the emu10k1 driver from the kernel, enabled the alsa
> driver, snd-alsa-emu10k1 and everything that came along with it.
>    I ran the alsamixer util and set it more or less to what i wanted.
>    The config file generated by debian is just like the one described
> in that page.
>    I get no error messages when i try to play a song in xmms, but no
> sound output is made...
>    Anything wrong in this?
>    -- Fred

From this, we don't know where the problem is...

Try "cat"ing a .au file to /dev/dsp and see if it makes noise.
(or for a quick and dirty test, cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp, but I warn
you that makes a NASTY noise.)

If that produces sound, your drivers are working, and the problem lies
with xmms, or maybe with KDE's sound daemon. (Wrong output plugin maybe.
Do you have "oss emulation" enabled in your alsa drivers? Or better,
have you got an alsa output plugin for xmms? How about for artsd?)

If cat foo.au > /dev/dsp does nothing... take another look at the mixer
(you do have BOTH master volume AND PCM turned up, right?) and if still
no joy, then start worrying about whether your alsa drivers are broken.

	Cheers!
--
             Now I realize that just getting through the day