Re: gnome sound server monopolizing alsa's audio

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 08:26:44AM -0600,  Rob VanFleet wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 08:11:10AM -0500, Laurence J. Lane wrote:
> > Any given program can hog a single DSP.
>
> I guess my question is, since the sound server isn't always playing
> sounds, shouldn't it relinquish control between events?

The only thing close to this is "esd -terminate" that kills the server after
the last client exits. However that's not very useful for gnome, since
it only plays a little sound every once in a while. It'd have to run
the server each time it wants to play a sound. It would be better off
just trying to grab /dev/dsp whenever it needs to.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com