Re: Web server Partitions - swap

on Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:46:38AM +0100, Magnus von Koeller (magnus@vonkoeller.de) wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2003 00:55, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > in the old days .... ?memory was say 4K total ...
>
> Yeah, I was just wondering because on my laptop, complete with KDE
> desktop and tons of programs running and all, 512MB RAM and something
> like 270MB of swap, my swap is 99% free. I'm not suggesting to get
> rid of all swap, I was just thinking that a gig of swap would be
> kinda wasteful for me.
>
> I can't really say anything about servers under heavy load, of
> course...

Depends on work habits.  I've got 512 MiB RAM, 1 GiB swap configured,
372 MiB swap used.

Heavy web browsing (Galeon has memory leaks), image editing, or sound
editing can really cut into that.  Ditto some database work.

Peace.

   What doesn't kill you makes you stranger.
     -- Karsten M. Self, misreading as usual, San Marcos Pass Rd., 1988