Re: Web server Partitions

On Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003, at 14:23 America/Denver, Magnus von Koeller wrote:

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 22:12, Karsten M. Self wrote:
SWAP - 1.5GB

Rule of thumb:  1-2x RAM.

I never understood that rule... In what way does it make sense that I
need more swap because I have more RAM? Seriously, I'd really like to
understand this.

I'm not sure if the linux kernel has the problems of some "legacy" Unix's, but I personally have watched Solaris and HP-UX boxes both die unhealthy deaths if there isn't at least an equal amount of swap to physical RAM set up on them.

At the time, we didn't have time (or test hardware to test on later) to figure out why, we just had to add swap immediately for them to recover. They both needed to swap things out of RAM and couldn't. As soon as swap was added - poof, machine recovered.

Both were heavily loaded Oracle servers. Both wanted to swap almost everything out. And yeah, both needed to be on bigger boxes with more physical RAM. The joys of outgrowing your servers... heh.

Nate, nate@natetech.com