Re: Logbook - RCS

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 03:17:27PM -0500, David Z Maze said
> "Gruessle" <debian@orces.com> writes:
> > Make a backup copy of the system files you touch. Better still, use RCS;
>
> Install the rcs package, then read rcsintro(1).  (Again, though, this
> is something I don't generally do, though I understand why it's Good
> Practice (TM).  I do use version control for my Emacs dotfiles, if
> that makes things better.)

I've started keeping my various /etc's in Arch, and it's working out
quite well.  Arch versions both the symlinks in there and the file
permissions, as well as file changes/moves/deletions/etc.  Not the file
*ownership*, however, so I'll need to be careful if/when I have to
restore a /etc.  Oh, the other advantage is that I can trivially mirror
the archives via sftp, so my backups are handled, too ;-)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:    mania JPL IDEA Defcon Panama propaganda AGT. AMME Pakistan