Re: Logbook - RCS

"Gruessle" <debian@orces.com> writes:

> I found following in the "Configuration HOWTO" manual.
> My question is what software do U use as Logbook and what in RCS?
>
> 2.2. Start the Logbook!
> To keep your installation in shape, it's essential that you know exactly
> what happened to your machine, which packages you installed that day,
> what you removed or modified, and so on.

If I kept a logbook file, I'd do it using vi.  Your favorite text
editor should be more than adequate for this.  (Though my Debian
machines tend to be pretty close to stock; the only software on my
laptop that's not either from a Debian package or in $HOME is an X
server in /usr/local.)

> Make a backup copy of the system files you touch. Better still, use RCS;

Install the rcs package, then read rcsintro(1).  (Again, though, this
is something I don't generally do, though I understand why it's Good
Practice (TM).  I do use version control for my Emacs dotfiles, if
that makes things better.)

	-- Abra Mitchell