Re: Virtual PC 5.2

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:25, Adelle L. Hartley wrote:
> > For S3Trio chipsets
> > apt-get install xserver-s3
>
> I have done the above, and modified the "Device" section
> of my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to read
>
>   Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Generic Video Card"
>     Driver      "s3"
>     BusID       "PCI:00:08:0"
>     VideoRam    8192
>   EndSection
>
> The output I get now is:
>
>   (WW) Warning, couldn't open module s3
>   (EE) Failed to load module "s3" (module does not exist, 0)
>   (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.0
>   (II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>          compiled for 4.1.0.1, module version = 1.0.0
>   (EE) Nop drivers available.
>
>   Fatal server error:
>   no screens found
>

> Is there something else that I am supposed to do to use
> this driver?

Sorry, it's been many months since I had to deal with an S3. I thought when I
did that the configuration step threw the confile over to /etc/X11/XF86Config
instead of XF86Config-4. Might be an idea to see if you have a XF86Config and
check out what it said in there.

I've been told by a guy who deals with much more legacy hardware than I do
that the vesa driver in XFree-4.1 does occasionally work with the S3Trio
chipset, it just never has for me.

Possibly you need to dpkg --configure xserver-s3 to get the correct confile
into use.

Anyway I see by your other post you got it going :)

Bob