Re: My Debian box can't connect Internet (RESEND)

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for your advice.

(Remark:
- I made another clean installation of Debian 3.0 on another PC with
net-installer (sarge).  It went through smoothly.  The same problem
occurred, unable to connect to Internet, ISP connected
- The Debian box is connected to ISP via ADSL Modem
- Dynamic IP is provided
- I made all tests as ROOT)

- snip -
>   Do a "cd /etc/ppp/peers" to change current working directory to
> /etc/ppp/peers. (cd - stands for change directory. "pwd" command
stands
> for print working directory). Do a "ls -l" to see all files in current
> directory and their permissions, owner and group. You'll get something
> like this:
> [lex.lexa]$ cd /etc/ppp/peers/
> [lex.lexa]$ ls -l
> total 11
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip           661 Ноя 21  2002 bnm
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip          1782 Ноя 21  2002 dsl-provider
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip           655 Ноя 28  2002 ial
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip           634 Янв 13  2003 maib
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip           699 Ноя 21  2002 min
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip           610 Ноя 21  2002 ml
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip           646 Ноя 21  2002 mtc
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip           579 Ноя 21  2002 provider
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip           716 Янв 11  2003 snt
> -rw-r--    1 root     dip           699 Окт 28 10:52 uni

# ls -l /etc/ppp/peers/

-rw-r--    1 root     root         .... dsl-provider
-rw-r--    1 root     dip          ..... provider

There were only 2 files there.  The first line above is 'root root'  not
'root dip'

Besides the file  /etc/resolv.conf   appeared very strange.  I was
allowed to make a change to this file after issuing following command

# chattr = /etc/resolv.conf

But after starting 'pon dsl-provider' the said file changed back to its
original content as follows;

search domain.com
nameserver 192.168.2.1
(default content)

- snip -

>  Add a "usepeerdns" option to your dsl-provider file. So pppd will
> change /etc/resolv.conf to dns servers provided by your provider
during
> ppp negotiation.

Added  "usepeerdns"  to /etc/ppp/peer/provider
But it could not solve the problem

Still can't connect to Internet.  I think the outgoing packages is
searching the gateway 192.168.0.1.

I made connection to Internet once (ONLY ONCE) as follows;

- Bootup the Debian box
- pon dsl-provider
- ping -c 3 www.yahoo.com
  packets received
- "usepeerdns"  already in /etc/ppp/peer/provider
- cat /etc/resolv.conf   showing
  search domain.com
  ISP address
  ISP address  (3 entries)
- deleted  "usepeerdns"  in /etc/ppp/peer/provider
- rebooted Debian box
- pon dsl-provider
  ISP connected, but blocked from Internet
- I repeated tests several times.  Occasionally
cat /etc/resolv.conf   showing
  search domain.com
  ISP address
  ISP address  (3 entries)

but still could not connected to Internet, ISP connected.
Other times
cat /etc/resolv.conf   showing
  search domain.com
  nameserver 192.168.2.1
  (default content)

It seemed very strange to me.  I have been trying to solve this problem
several days without a solution.

B.R.
Stephen