RE: Web server Partitions - simple partitions

hi ya braxton

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Braxton Neate wrote:

> I tend to agree with you that Adding more partitions, doesn't make the
> system more manageable.

yup.. it does make it more manageable per se

but it does allow you the luxury of fixing the system if ti goes bonkers
by having / be 128MB or 256MB instead of lots-n-lots of disk that has
to be clean before it can boot itself

> One partition I forgot to mention in my post was /boot, a lot of people
> recommend having the kernel on a separate partition. I'm guessing this
> wouldn't exceed 10MB but 50MB is probably a safe size.

the simplest install ... ( relatively sane way )
	<swap> partition of some size
	<rest of disk>
	-- no other partitions --
	-- why bother w/ partitions -- if one wants it simple

	-- and this 2 partition scheme usually isntall itself by
	default(?) so no typing/thinking is needed ??

-------
and getting back to making things messy:

/boot is NOT needed, unless the "kernel" is about the 1024 cylinder
boundry
	- a left over artifact like swap == 2x real memory

	( if one has 4GB of memory, in a large PC, does that mean
	( we need 8GB of swap ?? ... nah.. not many apps need that
	( much memory other that oracle and cae/cad simulations
	( and bunch of special apps

	and if you did have /boot ... how many 1MB sized kernels
	does that /boot partition hold ???
		1GB /boot implies about 1,000 kernels +/-  :-)
		( assuming you dont put anything else there )

if one is wondering about /boot ... it's more important toponder
the reasons for /tmp as a separate partition

c ta
alvin