Re: Similar question was: Change password from shellscript

Mark Ferlatte wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom said on Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 08:34:24AM -0600:

I want to make a script (which I am at present unable to do) that does this:

su
<give the password from the script>
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11
xsane
exit from script

Note: su insists on running from a terminal window.

How do you do that?

Use xsu instead of su.

You'll probably have to install it.

Thanks Mark!!!

Learn something new everyday.
That does the trick:

For some unknown reason I only can use xscan with my epson 1250 if I run it under su, not sudo..., not user... (colors are like negatives...) So with xsu I can create a menuitem under fvwm that calls xsu with a script... Works like a charm... We'll leave it as an exercise for the students to discover why xsane only works well under su.

Hugo.