Re: XP-LINUX Dual Boot

"Abhay Watwe" <abhay@cox.net> writes:

> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 which came preloaded with XP on the first hard
> drive.  I added a second hard drive and installed Debian Woody on it.  I
> installed LILO with MBR on /dev/hdb1 which is my / partition.  The machine
> does not have a floppy drive, so I rebooted and used the Debian CD to boot
> into linux in rescue mode.  Then I used the following command to create a
> linux.bin file
[and more on trying to make the NT bootloader work]

Both of the standard x86 Linux bootloaders, LILO and GRUB, support
"chain loading" non-free operating systems; I've had excellent luck
using GRUB to boot other operating systems (it's just for the games,
honest!).  GRUB in particular is a very capable bootloader; it
understands filesystems, so you don't need to reinstall it if you
install a new kernel, and you can do some amount of recovery work from
the bootloader prompt if your system winds up hosed.

>From /boot/grub/grub.conf:

  title That thing on /dev/hda1
  rootnoverify (hd0,0)
  makeactive