Re: Nautilus won't die

Em Ter, 2003-12-16 às 17:30, Karsten M. Self escreveu:
> on Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:57:34AM -0200, Leandro Guimar?es Faria
> Corcete Dutra (ldutra@prefeitura.sp.gov.br) wrote:
>
> > Nautilus will freeze on all terminals at the same time, and refuse to
> > display icons, open windows or refresh already open windows.  It's
> > impossible also to quit the Gnome session, but most other buttons are
> > working, so one can open apps and use them to open files anyway.
>
> Are do you have any network-mounted drives/partitions?  What filesystem
> are you using for these (e.g.:  NFS, samba, ...?).  Network timeouts are
> a great way to confound apps.

	Yes, I had... inherited some mounts of NFS from client machines, bad
practice indeed.  On your advice have eliminated them.  Now I would need
to wait and see if the problem reoccurs...

	There is also a SMB mount but it is user level, I don't think I can
eliminate that.

> In general, if you're trying to track down odd application errors,
> 'strace' is your friend.

	OK, but how should I use strace with nautilus?  Perhaps put it in a
script at /usr/bin/nautilus with redirection to a log file?

> > The weirder of all is that I can't kill Nautilus after it freezes.
> > There are some defunct processes, but be it a killall -KILL or a kill
> > -KILL no process dies, and I'm forced to reboot the server.
>
> 'kill -9'?  That's terminate with extreme prejudice, but is one way of
> determining whether or not the problem is the application or I/O layer.

	Yes, because -HUP and -TERM did nothing I was forced to -KILL.

	But what exactly -KILL not working means?

> You might also want to try running 'lsof' or 'fuser' to see what file(s)
> are being held open.

	But check what?  I am used to fuser or lsof a file or directory, but
what should be the parameter here?

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra <ldutra@prefeitura.sp.gov.br>
Prefeitura do Município de São Paulo dos Campos de Piratininga