Re: loopback interface down, sob ;-(

Thanks, Andreas.  Alas the problem is still alive but here are some
details from doing

networking restart

in /etc/init.d/ :

wassern:/etc/init.d# ./networking restart
Reconfiguring network interfaces...ifconfig: can not resolve `down': Host name lookup failure
cat: /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid: No such file or directory
ifconfig: can not resolve `down': Host name lookup failure
ifconfig: only one address allowed for interface `lo'
Usage: ifconfig [OPTION]... [SYSTEM OPTION]...
Try `ifconfig --help' for more information.
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client 2.0pl5
Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html

ppp0: unknown hardware address type 512
sl0: unknown hardware address type 256
ifconfig: can not resolve `up': Host name lookup failure
ppp0: unknown hardware address type 512
sl0: unknown hardware address type 256
Bind socket to interface: No such device
exiting.
done.

The configuration in /etc/network/ and / or that in
/etc/init.d/networking is faulty, as I can access the hardware
flawlessly from another linux installation on another hard drive of
the same system.  The strange thing for me is that ifconfig is seeking
hosts called 'up' and 'down'.

How can I force apt-get to reinstall the original networking
configuration files in /etc ?  Which package is appropriate?

Best regards,

Lux