Re: Exim3, with spamassasin, mailscanner and Clam-AV upgrade to Exim4

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:30:43AM +0100, Joakim wrote:
> I'm about to upgrade from exim3 to exim4. I only have one domain, but I
> have two separat exim conf pretty much according to the mailscanner
> README.Debian.
> If I do a apt-get install exim4
> Can i use the ./convert4r4 for both conf files and still have a working
> system?
> Have anybody made a similar upgrade, are there any fallingpits, is there
> mayby a good howto (that I havnt found)?

Please post your notes to this list when you are done if you don't mind as
I have been wanting to do this for a while.

Where are you going to get your backport?  (if you will be backporting)
I don't see exim listed here:
http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/stable/

Is there an official backport?

> Then I have one more question, can I in a easy way convert the exim mBox
> to maildir (and still keep the mail in /var/spool/mail/$user) inorder to
> use Courier-IMAPd so that I can also use a good webserver to check my
> mail when on the run?

Mutt is an excellent choice for doing the conversion.

Make sure your .muttrc has Maildir as its mbox_type:

set     mbox_type=Maildir

Use mutt to open up the particular mbox.

type "T" then type "." which will tag all the messages.

Type ";s" and mutt will ask you where you want to
move all the messages and it will create a NEW Maildir for you.

(the semi-colon is important...took me a while to figure
that out and if you don't use it, it will only save one message)

You state you want to keep the existing mail so use ";C".
This will copy all the messages to the new location...not move them.

Courier-IMAP does not require your messages to be in
/var/spool/mail/$user.  I have Courier-IMAP set up with SquirrelMail
that reads all of my mail which is in /home/andy/Maildir.....
unless I don't understand your question correctly.

You may need to tweak the exim.conf to deliver your mail to the
Maildir using the "local_delivery:" section to deliver to
"directory = ${home}/Maildir/" and you may need to learn exim
filters which I love and are easy to learn.

Hope your conversion goes well.

Andy