Re: General debian questions

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 01:44:02AM -0700, Lucas Albers wrote:
> Is their any fundamental reason why apt-get could not use rsync in
> addition to it's current method?
> This should be inherently faster.??

It would impose too much load on the servers; rsync is a bit of a pain
that way. It's been proposed and rejected.

> Creating iso image from jigdo-file.
> Assume I want to add in some additional packages onto my stable install cd.
> Just do thus:
> apt-get -d install packages.
> Then copy the deb files to my loopback mounted jigdo iso cd image.
> I could then install them with dpgk -i packagename.
> How hard is it to make it so apt-get when pointing to the cd as a
> repositry, can install the packages correctly?

Use dpkg-scanpackages to update the Packages file (and remember to gzip
it, so you've got Packages.gz).

> Do you think we are going to have some gpg checking of packages, as the
> default for apt-get anytime soon?

For individual packages, probably at some point, but I'm not sure about
soon. Note that we *do* have a GPG signature trail back to Release.gpg
which is sufficient for you to verify the packages in the main archive.
See the Securing Debian Manual for more information.

Cheers,