"hdb: driver not present"

After having recently installed Debian 3.0 over Mandrake, I'm trying to get all my hardware working again :-(

Although the boot messages initially correctly identify all 4 drives (two hard drives, CD-RW, CD-ROM), it seems only the primary hard disk is usable. During boot, I noticed it say "mod-probe: can't locate module ide-disk" followed by "hdb: driver not present". The primary disk is a Maxtor, the secondary a Seagate, if that's relevant. Both were working fine under Mandrake with no further configuration.

I've tried a bit of googling (unsuccesfully) but, having never come across such a problem before, haven't really got any ideas :-(

Can anybody help?

Cheers,

Jon