Galeon 1.3.10 on sid (ppc)

Hi

I've just ugraded from sarge to sid and using aptitude. I tried to install
galeon.  However, aptitude reported errors and so I tried to remove it
using aptitude, dpkg -P, and apt-get remove.  All of these produce the
following error:

dpkg: error processing galeon (--purge):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
  reinstall it before attempting a removal.
   galeon
   Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to
   recover:
   Press return to continue.
I've tried reinstalling it (which fails), holding it (which also
produces similar errors).

It is not critical except that every time I attempt to
install or remove any other packages, aptitude tries to remove or
upgrade galeon (depending on my choices) and falls over before dealing
with the other selections.  I seem to be stuck in a loop and need to
find a way to purge galeon so I can move on.

Any ideas?

TIA

Clive
--