Re: Copy all desktop settings for a new user

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 03:49:44PM +0100, Philipp Schulte wrote:
> Nunya wrote:
>
> I don't get it. You are talking about copying the files. This of
> course is not a problem, but what do you do if you have to change the
> content of hundreds of files for each user?
> Phil

The point is, to the degree you want the users to have identical
settings, you don't, for big things like kde and gnome.  They (luckily)
don't have the username embeded in them.  Apparently my .phoenix and
.openoffice profiles contain hard-coded paths, but I don't back those
up.  For "bad" apps like that, look for app-specific tools to copy
profiles, or write scripts and hope you don't botch it.

You are right, I only reuse the files as me, so I'm not doing something
as hard as you're doing.  But people set up Lab environments all the
time.