Re: Grub problems

If I understand correctly, you've created a grub floppy? If not, you can
download a floppy image file
(http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.html) and use the dd command to
create the floppy. With the floppy, you should be able to boot. You'll
have to manually type the commands (unless you can use Knoppix to grab a
copy of your /boot/grub/menu.lst and put it on the floppy). Anyway, boot
with the grub floppy, and trying typing something like this:

grub> root (hd0,5)
grub> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro
grub> boot

Hopefully that will bring up Debian. You then should be able to run
grub-install if you have it on the hard disk. You can copy your
/boot/grub/menu.lst to the floppy, and install grub to the hard drive
like this...

reboot with the GRUB floppy. If GRUB starts in menu mode, press c to go
to command-line mode. Enter the following commands at the grub prompt:

grub> root (hd0,5)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

That should do it.