Re: OT: Letter to TigerDirect

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 10:57, Wayne Sitton wrote:

> I myself am not a pure-ist.  But, I no longer use windows, and Boot
> Debian Sid for my OS of choice.  I have long promoted Debian, even while
> my colleagues were Red Krap freaks because they thought it was cool to
> like linux, but not really know anything. But I have to say I agree with
> the original poster.
>

> [ .... ]

> Companies like Dell stopped selling Linux based computers because there
> was a lack of interest.  But it was funny that I noticed that the same
> hardware could be bought for a cheaper price, from them,  when it was
> shipped with winblows. Only problem was, and have experienced this, Dell
> would not honor their warranty if it was shipped with winblows, and got
> formated and Linux installed.

Thanks for letting me know: Do you have details on that?

Apple, for example, seems to handle this differently:

See start of this thread:
"Linux voiding warranty for Apple Hardware, or not?"

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200309/msg00517.html>

> I mean holly fril, If Gateway had a sticker that guaranteed that every
> piece of hardware on a specific Box was Linux compatible, no matter what
> os was shipped, they'd probably become better than they are currently.
> But, why do they not get this?????  HP recently announced that they will
> start supporting Debian, but where on their site can I gat a laptop
> pre-installed with Debian?

Ask me what I would do if someone would have  pre-installed Linux on a
machine I bought? ... :)

And how long it would take to delete their Linux and then install mine
("My way", as Sinatra would have put it, perhaps .... :)

I think economically it makes not much sense for hardware companies to
pre-install Linux for folk like me ... Might be different with people
not at home in Computerville ... don't know ...

> I just want these companies to recognize that we buy too, and that we
> want to know if a particular product is Linux compatible.  I mean, a
> while back I was a big ATI fan.  But, once I realized they would support
> the video drivers only, but not support the All-in-Wonder card's TV
> functions, I completely quit using them, and am now anti-ATI unless they
> get their shit together and support Linux as a whole and not just when
> they want too.

Slowly. ... :)

It seems ATI has been helpful *at least* for Linux-powerpc:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200312/msg00291.html>

Excerpt:
"Regarding sleep support, there's always hope as far as ATI chips are
concerned as ATI has always been helpful with that in the past, though
it takes time. For nVidia chips, there is no hope."

> At least nVidia puts out Linux drivers for their cards!

A more than 2 year old thread seems to speak another language. Part of
it is this message:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2001/debian-powerpc-200107/msg00400.html>

Excerpt:

" .. nVidia is not playing fair with binary only
drivers and no support for non-x86."

> (yes, I know about the gatos project, but it's an outside thing....ATI
> has not helped them.)
>
>  [ .... ]

> I would say just my 2 cents....but I think I have taken up a dollar!
>
> Wayne

Regards,
Wolfgang
--