Re: locales and coding systems

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 04:31:17PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> The default coding system in emacs is determined by how I've set up
> locales in debian. I went back to my installation notes, and according
> to them, I had set the locale to utf-8.

I don't know exactly how emacs decides what coding system to use for
new files. But this might be useful. This is from the emacs manual, in
the section on international character set support, in the subsection
about specifying coding:

	"The variable `default-buffer-file-coding-system' specifies
	the choice of coding system to use when you create a new file.
	It applies when you find a new file, and when you create a buffer
	and then save it in a file.  Selecting a language environment
	typically sets this variable to a good choice of default coding
	system for that language environment."

So I think you can either solve this by setting that variable or by
changing your language environment. I think the version of emacs you are
using doesn't support utf-8 or doesn't support it fully. So you should
probably set your language environment to either English/Ascii or one
of the European ones/Latin-1.

The info on how to change your language environment is in the same
section under the subsection Language Environments. But if you want
to do it manually simply, go in the menu-bar under options -> mule ->
set language environment.

Hope that helps,
Bijan
--