Re: ide DMA on Intel 865PE

Dobai-Pataky Balint wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 22:27, Rune Maagensen wrote:
>
>> using_dma    =  0 (off)
>

> try hdparm -i device, to see what modes are suported by hdd

/dev/hda:

 Model=Maxtor 6Y080P0, FwRev=YAR41BW0, SerialNo=Y2Q5NXLE
 Config={ Fixed }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=7936kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=160086528
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6
 AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
 Drive Supports : ataATA-1 ATA-2 ATA-3 ATA-4 ATA-5 ATA-6 ATA-7

I looks like the drive supports all modern modes.

> and a  cat /proc/ide/piix for more info,

Well that doesn't exist on my system.

this does however:
hubble:/home/admin# less /proc/ide/ide0/hda/settings
name                    value           min             max             mode
----                    -----           ---             ---             ----
acoustic                0               0               254             rw
address                 0               0               2               rw
bios_cyl                9964            0               65535           rw
bios_head               255             0               255             rw
bios_sect               63              0               63              rw
breada_readahead        8               0               255             rw
bswap                   0               0               1               r
current_speed           0               0               70              rw
failures                0               0               65535           rw
file_readahead          124             0               16384           rw
init_speed              0               0               70              rw
io_32bit                0               0               3               rw
keepsettings            0               0               1               rw
lun                     0               0               7               rw
max_failures            1               0               65535           rw
max_kb_per_request      128             1               255             rw
multcount               16              0               16              rw
nice1                   1               0               1               rw
nowerr                  0               0               1               rw
number                  0               0               3               rw
pio_mode                write-only      0               255             w
slow                    0               0               1               rw
unmaskirq               0               0               1               rw
using_dma               0               0               1               rw
wcache                  0               0               1               rw

> my opinion is you can safely turn on simple dma(hdparm -d1 device), you
> can only worry about udma modes (-X66 ->-X69), that's the only way i can
> get an irq timeout on the hdd.

Ok, thanks, but is there a performance penalty from running normal DMA compared to UDMA, I know both the disk and chipset is capable?

TIA
Rune