Re: Earthlink and Swen

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 08:56:48PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 04:15:45PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> > Earthlink have implemented virus and spam filtering within the past
> > month or so, early November, if time serves.

Yea!
<snip>
> headers.  They may have resisted doing anything because of a shortage
> of CPU power (yes, I know, viruses consume CPU, bandwidth, disk space
> even if ignored...).  They also claimed that they weren't getting that
> many swens over their subscriber base.  This is perhaps true if it was
> harvesting off usenet postings.

more viruses, more cpu time, more MONEY. Its always money in the end.
<snip>
> Did earthlink send a notice of this change, or did they just do it?  I
> didn't know about it.  But then, I usually don't read their
> newsletters, where I suppose they might have mentioned it.  I used
> their webmail interface quite recently, and didn't see anything
> suggesting their filtering options had changed.
I went to the 'email options' page and turned on the VIRUS options as
soon as KMS mentioned it. Ever since my email has included a new
header:X-ELNK-AV (0 or 1). Where 1 means virus, and the message is
cleaned and edited to display the reason it was edited.

-Kev