Setting Up Email

I've been trying to set up POP3 email access (in text mode instead of from the desktop), and
am really stumped now.  I just did a little experiment and installed fetchmail, then from the
command prompt gave the fetchmail command as follows:

fetchmail -p AUTO -u gsutton9503 mail.charter.net

I was then asked for my password for the server.  After entering the password, apparently a
bunch of messages downloaded to somewhere on my hard drive and were deleted off of the
server.  Where did the messages get saved to, and how do I access them?  I tried running
mutt, but at the bottom of the screen is the notice:

/var/mail/scarletdown: No such file or directory (errno = 2) (scarletdown is the name of the
regular non-root user account).

I did a little investigating and it seems that there should be a file (or possibly a directory) in
each user's home directory called mbox.  Well, there isn't, and I am not sure where else to
look for mbox.

So since mutt doesn't work, how do I access those 19 messages that were downloaded?