Re: Debian installation trouble on server

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:22:13 +0100,
ads@fredz.org wrote in message
<[🔎] 6.0.1.1.2.20031210201545.02228e18@mail.spamcop.net>:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian (latest) on a 1U rack-server.
> Specs: P4, Raid (hot spare), no floppy, no cdrom, no PS/2 ports, 2 USB
> ports.
>
> My problem is the following:
> I cannot connect a cdrom drive, so I thought about installing Debian
> using floppies via a usb floppy drive. However, the 1st floppy gets
> read ok, but the next one (root) doesn't get read. Seems like there's
> no support for that kind of floppy drive (a Teac one). Someone told me
> to get daily floppy images from
> http://people.debian.org/~sjogren/d-i/images/daily/ but that server
> does not work.
>
> Server also supports Bootp, but I only have Windows workstations in
> the LAN, and didn't find any useful tool to get it running.
>
> Moreover, adding to the problem, is the Raid driver (Fastrak133mb
> "lite" PDC 20276 IDE RAID) which might not be in the linux floppies...
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this kind of problem?

..it boots ok from the usb floppy?  First move is get a
pxe-booting floppy which support one of your box' nics:
http://rom-o-matic.net/5.2.2/
http://etherboot.sourceforge.net/
http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php
http://netboot.sourceforge.net/english/

..next move is set up a boot server, the _easiest_ way is put a knoppix
on one of your Wintendos, and then start "Knoppix Terminal Server"
from the GUI.  ;-)

..now, for great fun, try clusterKnoppix "Knoppix OpenMosix Terminal
Server" and feed _all_ ;-) your Wintendo's that boot diskette.  ;-)
  Scenarios always come in sets of three: