Re: libGL and DRM error with Matrox card

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:00:58PM +0000, Richard Kimber wrote:

> Some apps give an error when started saying:
>
> libGL error: failed to open DRM: Operation not permitted
> libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
>
> XFree86.0.log says:-
> MGA(0): Direct rendering enabled
>
> Is there a problem?  If so how should I resolve it?
>
> Thanks,
> - Richard.

Well, I started getting the identical error when I switched to a
2.6.0-test9 kernel from a 2.4.22 kernel. The apps that gave the error
were glxgears and mutt (when I would view html in Konqueror ... some
spam tastes hammy).

Using

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

and restarting the xserver fixed the problem. (I merely changed the
default pixel depth from 24 to 16 to see the effect on glxgears.
Switching back to a pixel depth of 24 did not cause the error to
reappear.)

FWIW, I use xserver-xfree86 4.3.0-0pre1v4 from experimental and the r128
driver for my cheapo ATI xpert 2k card.

Graeme