Re: [OT] C programming, variable size array

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 14:04, Wesley J Landaker wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2003 11:38 am, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > Hi There:
> >
> > I am a first year CS student, learning C. A while ago I was asked
> > this question from a fellow friend of mine:
> >
> > "Write a program, which promts the uset to enter some numbers. The
> > user should terminate the sequence of numbers by entering EOF
> > character. The program should put numbers entered by the user in to a
> > 1D array".
>
> Hmmm... sounds a lot like a homework problem... =)

Yes, it does... :)

> Of course, the normal way to do something like this is to not use C,
> since it's way more low-level than you need.

But since the OP did say he was a CS major, I'd imagine that the whole
point would be to do it in a very low level language. :)

> It would be better to allocate memory in chunks, or better yet, do
> something like read the numbers into a linked-list and then copy them
> to an array when you're ready to use them that way, or to use C++ and
> use the <vector> class, or something like that.

I definitely agree with the linked-list suggestion. I had thought that
most intro CS courses already cover linked list implementations. Either
way, if you haven't had linked lists as part of your curriculum yet,
learn how to do them now and it will put you ahead of the game for a lot
of your courses. The course that I took that introduced linked lists
took the better part of the semester to cover them though, in my
opinion, one or two labs max would have been sufficient.

And I wouldn't even bother putting the linked list into an array in the
first place. If you write a good linked list implementation (which, as I
said, would be a good exercise) it will already support all of the
functions that you're likely to need with an array, so you might as well
just keep it as a linked list.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837