Re: dissapearing sound

techlists wrote:

A while back I seem to remember someone had a problem with KDE sound
working, and then every so often it would just stop working

You might want to search the Debian archives from about the time period you remember this discussion taking place.

Since upgrading from woody to sid I have been experiencing this
problem.  Is this a known problem, and if so is there a fix?

I don't know of any such problem, but that doesn't mean it's not a known problem. It's just unknown to me.

and if not, how do I re-initialize sound without restarting KDE or

First thing I'd suspect is that artsd is dying. Do a "ps ax | grep arts"; if it's there, kill it and restart it. If not, try starting it.