Do I use 2.4.22 or nvidia-kernel-common?Re: was "Kernel-HOWTO has been removed for review"

It seems I have install nvidia-kernel-common but I must have not
configured it because I dont have a nvidia splash screen.
It appears I am running 2.4.22-1-k7.
Do I recompile 2.4.22-1-k7 to get usb devices working (usb webcam, usb
storage, usb phone, & usb wireless network adaptor)?

What do I do to get Nvidia stuff working? I hava an ABIT NF7-M board
with nForce-2 chipsets.
Thanks