Gnome in sarge; is there a default desktop?

I'm trying to use gnome in Sarge. I've never used gnome before, so I don't know what to expect, but I don't think I'm getting what I should.

I selected gdm as the default window manager. I get the login screen. After I log in, I get a blank screen, but the mouse buttons let me access a menu; it looks like the default twm menu, but "ps ax" doesn't show twm running. I was expecting a desktop. The gnome user guide says to select "Gnome Desktop" from "Session" in the login screen, but there is no such option in the list; the Session menu has "Gnome", "Gnome Chooser", "Debian", "Xsession, and a couple of failsafes.

Is there supposed to be a desktop by default? If not, is there something simple to do to enable it? I'm looking through the documentation, but I'm not doing very well.

David