Re: OT: Voicemail/fax software

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 18:59, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 05:36:50PM -0500, Mark Roach wrote:
[...]
> > Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Although I talked to one of the
> > sales guys at digium, and he said that they had a fax solution, but it
> > didn't work all the time... so that may be a bust too... I'll have to
> > keep looking.
>
> Does it need to detect the fax or just route it?  I've had it configured
> here in the past to pass calls on to a modem (connected as a station)
> running under hylafax.

I'm not real familiar with either product, so all I can describe is our
current solution... maybe you can make a suggestion based on that...

What we have at the moment is an NEC phone switch with 8 analog lines
running to our voicemail/fax server. When a call comes in and is not
answered, the switch sends the call to the voicemail server which then
presents the greeting for the appropriate mailbox and saves the message.
For faxes, pretty much the same thing happens, except that it doesn't
wait for a phone to stop ringing.

Hylafax seems to want a separate phone line for each incoming fax
number, what I need is to be able to do what I just described: i.e. any
one of 30 fax numbers might be connected to any one of 8 incoming analog
lines... Do you think that's a possibility? I guess at this point I
should be taking this to the asterisk mailing list, or at least off
list. I really appreciate your advice.

Thanks
--
Mark Roach