depmod trouble when installing new kernel

Hi all!

I'm installing a new 2.4.23 kernel on my main server (that I compiled
some time ago), using Marcello's tree, but the same config I used for
the Debian 2.4.22 kernel previously.

The kernel was compiled on my workstation (with make-kpkg) and then
uploaded to the server. When I try to install it, I get lots of error
messages on the form:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.23.2003-12-01.1-pooh/
kernel/net/wanrouter/wanrouter.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.23.2003-12-01.1-pooh/
kernel/net/x25/x25.o
There was a problem running depmod.  This may be benign,
[snip]

I'm not actually using the things mentioned there, I don't think I have
it compiled in at all, but I noticed it complained about other things I
am using, such as ext2 (but I think I have compiled into the kernel).

Because this is a machine that it is hard to get physical access to, I'd
like to know if it is benign before I proceed... How do you address
this...?

Best,

Kjetil
--