Re: yet another NVIDIA problem (4496)

Haim Ashkenazi wrote:

David Selby wrote:

Haim Ashkenazi wrote:

Hi

I've just bought a new GeForce 5600 (Gainward Ultra 780 TV/DVI) and for
that occasion I've upgraded my nvidia drivers to 4496-10. after upgrading,
X wouldn't start (error loading 'nvidia') unless I modprobe 'nvidia'
manually, and then it loads, but with an error:

devfs_register(nvidiactl): could not append to parent, err: -17
devfs_register(nvidia0): could not append to parent, err: -17

I've googled for it but only found some kernel mailing list entries which
I didn't understand. as a workaround I've added nvidia to '/etc/modules'
but I was wondering if this problem can be solved.

kernel: 2.4.21

thanx
--
Haim

All is revealed in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README

Q: The kernel module doesn't get loaded dynamically when X starts;
I always have to do 'modprobe nvidia' first. What's wrong?

A: Make sure the line "alias char-major-195 nvidia" appears in
your module configuration file, generally one of "/etc/conf.modules",
"/etc/modules.conf" or "/etc/modutils/alias"; consult the documentation
that came with your distribution for details.
it's already there. nvidia-kernel-common took care of it. actially it's
written "alias char-major-195* nvidia". should I change it?

I guess I didn't explain myself. I don't mind putting it in '/etc/modules'.
it's the errors that disturbes me...

thanx
--
Haim

I would delete the * & give it a go - I'm No expert though !

My own notes for setting up the driver are ....

Need to re-compile kernel to ensure compiler compatibility
Use source tarballs ..

cd /usr/local/nvidia/NVIDIA_Kernel-x.x.x
make
cd /usr/local/nvidia/NVIDIA_GLX-x.x.x
make

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
replace driver ?nv? with ?nvidia?
add line ?NoLogo? "1" underneath to kill logo
make sure you have Load ?glx?
# out Load ?dri?, Load ?Glcore?
at the end of /etc/modutils/aliases, add the line
alias char-major-195 NVdriver
then execute
update-modules
Otherwise the Nvidia driver will not boot on re-start

***************** Latest Nvidia driver, semi-automated, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run ******

Start modem link
Drop out of X via KDM
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run
Follow instructions

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
replace driver ?nv? with ?nvidia?
add line ?NoLogo? "1" underneath to kill logo

make sure you have Load ?glx?
# out Load ?dri?, Load ?Glcore?

at the end of /etc/modutils/aliases, add the line
alias char-major-195 nvidia
then execute
update-modules
Otherwise the Nvidia driver will not boot on re-start
Reboot system. NOTE XFree86 will not start till after reboot !
/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README