Re: problems with networking on boot - ?solved?

Ok - I have solved the problem, but not the reason for it.  It seems
there are TWO versions of 'ifconfig' on my system.

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        53516 Jun 27 22:09 /sbin/ifconfig
and
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        27736 Oct 24 10:29 /usr/bin/ifconfig

>From dpkg -S I determined that /sbin/ifconfig is from the net-tools
package and the /usr/bin/ifconfig is from the inetutils-tools package.
Renaming /usr/bin/ifconfig to /usr/ifconfig-old solves the problem.

The reason I chose /usr/bin/ifconfig to rename is that according to
'apt-cache policy' it only exists in unstable.  How I got it installed
at this point is unclear.  It may have been during an aptitude
'browsing' session since the description for the package is vague but
promising. ie.:
'Base utilities for network administration.

Hmmm.

Lou

* Andrea Tasso <andrea@tasso.info> [2003-12-10 17:30]: