Re: How do I get a warm fuzzy feeling about kernel upgrade?

jse@xmission.com writes:

> I have reaffirmed that I'm clueless this morning.  I found this security
> bulletin:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/debian-security-announce-2003/msg00212.html
> this morning.  This worried me since I just installed debian last week on
> a server directly connected to the internet.  I'm confused because it says
> in the text that the update is "version 2.4.18-14 of the i386 kernel
> images" but in the list of upgraded packages all of them seem to have just
> a -12

The security bulletin was in error.  The updated kernel *source*
package version was -14; the i386 kernel image packages were -12.

If you look at your:

        /usr/share/doc/kernel-image-2.4.18-1-k7/changelog.gz

you'll see:

        . Added TASK_SIZE check to do_brk in mm/mmap.c

at the top.  That's the fix.

--
Kevin <buhr@telus.net>