Add route from laptop through workstation...

Hi all!

This feels like a really stupid question, I thought this was going to be
trivial...

Basically, my workstation is connected to the net with ADSL, and now I
added a second NIC, and connected a laptop to the NIC with a cross-over
cable.

I then configured the eth1 interface on the workstation:
iface eth1 inet static
        address 10.42.42.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0

because I have a similar setup on a network were I have a real router
(floppyfw-based), and where this laptop usually is. It's not mine, so I
usually don't have it here at home. On the laptop, I then went ifup
eth0, and then, the workstation and laptop talks to eachother just
fine.

But packets from the workstation can't reach the outside world, but I
thought just adding a route from there would do the appropriate
masqing, so
route add default gw 10.42.42.1 eth0
on the laptop would do the trick... Apparently not...

Anybody else have this sort of setup...?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo