Re: control init process

anh le wrote:
hello,

I'm a Debian 3.0r1 newbie from vietnam.

I have installed gdm but I want to control it behavior like follow:

1. After loginng in, I do not want the system run gdm immediately, but stay in console mode so that I can startx as neccessary.
hmm - actually gdm is the login-manager which starts BEFORE you log in (where you type username/passwd).

2. Each time I logout from gdm (System->logout) I want to come
back into console mode, and don't want gdm respawn again.

well, if i got this right, you just do not want gdm starting at all and having a simple console-login instead. The command to stop gdm immediatley is:
# /etc/init.d/gdm stop

this is the init-script that starts gdm at boot-time and is linked from /etc/rc*.d/.

to disable gdm permanently (even after a reboot) for every/multiple runlevel[s] you can use the update-rc.d utility:

# update-rc.d -f gdm remove

if you should decide to put gdm back to work at a later time just use (do not forget the dot at the end of the command):

# update-rc.d gdm start 99 2 3 4 5 . stop 1 0 1 6 .

have a look at the manpage of update-rc.d and consider reading http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux-Init-HOWTO.html to understand how your system is booting up.

hope that helps.