Re: compiling kernel for another system

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 09:46, John L. Fjellstad wrote:
> Yeah, I figured that out after looking at the dependency list of
> the kernel-packages.  I'm wondering though if using gcc3.3 would
> have any impact (since everything else on the stable system would
> have the programs compiled with gcc2.95)

Well, that's what I've been thinking. But isn't the kernel basically
one self-contained unit? I mean sure: The modules depend on the
kernel but they're both compiled with the same compiler anyway,
right?

Apart from that: The kernel is pure C, isn't it? The changees from
gcc2.95 to gcc3.2 were in the C++ ABI, they didn't affect C
compatibility IIRC. So it really doesn't make much sense to have any
unresolved symbols here - and, as I said, at least for me it worked.

Anyways, I'm really no expert on this. But it's been really
interesting to discuss it - always something to learn on this list!

Best regards,
	Magnus