Re: Info Problem

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 04:58:26PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:59:01PM +0000, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 08:33:22AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > I've spoken to Brad Kuhn about this specifically.
> >
> > ISTR speaking to him about it once myself, but can't remember the
> > outcome. Did you get anywhere?
>
> Well, for values of "anywhere" equalling "take it up with Richard", yes.
> But no specific movement.  Among the reasons for polishing my man vs.
> info debate was preparation for a formal proposal.  Which still hasn't
> happened.  But could.  Think it's worth a try?

I don't really enjoy politics, and trying to change anything in the GNU
project when it's dug its heels in on something generally reeks of
politics, so I've elected to ignore the issue and concentrate on making
sure Debian's doing the right thing. But if you have more tolerance for
that sort of thing than I do, sure, go for it. :) It'd make the world a
better place.

> > The GNU project's attitude to man pages is one of the reasons why I
> > decided that man-db should not be a GNU package, the other being that
> > copyright assignments would be a headache since one of the former
> > maintainers is dead.
>
> Yes, but dead men contest no bug reports ;-)
>
> On a more practical note:  copyright would pass to the estate and heirs.
> It's possible (not necessarially easy) to get assignments in this case.

Yeah. The thought has occurred to me, but it seems rather tasteless to
go and ask. In practice my assessment is that it's vanishingly unlikely
to become an actual problem (and if it does, I'll just remove all
copyrightable pieces of code he wrote), so again I've gone for the easy
road.

Cheers,