Re: control init process

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 04:43:48 -0500,
Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> wrote in message
<[🔎] 20031209094348.GD2971@debian.potter>:

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:29:30AM +0100, anh le wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > I'm a Debian 3.0r1 newbie from vietnam.
> >
> > I have installed gdm but I want to control it behavior like follow:
> >
> > 1. After loginng in, I do not want the system run gdm immediately,
> > but stay in console mode so that I can startx as neccessary.

..do you want gdm to start, or do you want to hop straight into your
choise X session?  'init 2', if you booted single user or some such.

> > 2. Each time I logout from gdm (System->logout) I want to come
> > back into console mode, and don't want gdm respawn again.

..ok, if Kevin understood you correctly, his advice will do what you
want.  Many ways to skin these cats.  ;-)

..'init 1' should kill gdm, then rc.d-config (or somesuch, I don't have
a woody system booted right now) to reconfigure the runlevel links
into /etc/init.d/ ,  if you want x|k|w|gdm "only in some cases".

> > Where can I find out docs, howtos  to re-write scripts my rc, init.d
> > to to achieve it
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > ---
> > anh
> Hi Ahn,
> why not get rid of gdm.
> This way when you login, you are at a console and just need to startx.
> and when you startx, you just exit and you are back at the console.
> To do this, do:
> apt-get remove gdm

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: