Re: Mixing woody and sarge

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 09:59:44PM +0530, Rajkumar S wrote:

> What will happen when I add testing lines also in sources.list of a
> stable (woody) box and apt-get  a package available in testing? For
> example ulogd.

If you don't set a Default Release or any other pinning configuration,
the next time you do an upgrade many of your installed packages will be
upgraded to the version available in testing, provided they don't
require the installation of any additional packages or the removal of
any.  However, if a dist-upgrade is used instead your system will be
wholely upgraded to testing.

> After that will the box be stable (woody), with just that package (and
> dependencies) from testing? What happens when a security updates comes
> in security.debian.org for that package? Will it gets installed or will
> it take the updates from testing?

This would depend on how the package versions compared.

> What happens when I do apt-get upgrade, will all packages get updated to
> testing? what about apt-get dist-upgrade?

See above.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. --Aldous Huxley,
"Proper Studies", 1927