Re: locales and coding systems

> Em Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:31:17 -0500, Haines Brown escreveu:
>
> > the default coding system is utf-16. That is, when I save any file
> > in emacs having an accented character, it doubles in size and is a
> > 16-bit file.
>
> This is not the default, but Emacs' suggestion based on the buffer
> contents.  You can easily tell it to save in 8 bits when it asks for
> the encoding.

Yes, I understand. My aim is to make utf-8 the suggestion rather than
uft-16. Sometimes I hit OK when in a semi-comatose state instead of
reading the line ;-), but basically having to type the preferred
charset name is a nuisance. It's not the way it used to be.

> > The default coding system in emacs is determined by how I've set up
> > locales in debian.
>
> 	Not at all.  Emacs is quite independent.

:-( That was not what I understood from the emacs manual. If emacs is
independent, then I should be able to define what it offers as the
"suggested" charset.

> > I went back to my installation notes, and according to
> > them, I had set the locale to utf-8.
>
> 	What exactly do you have in /etc/environment or ~/.bashrc or
> whatever?

Other than the fact I've got no "/etc/environment," none of the
configuration files I glanced at in /etc or ~/ mention any character
set. But I do recall defining it during installation, and so the info
is obviously somewhere.

> > How do I find out what coding system I'm currently using? When I run #
> > locale, all I get is LANG=POSIX, etc. If I run # locale -a, all I get is
> > POXIX and C. Apparently I'm climbing the wrong tree.
>
> If you really see #, you are using the superuser account (root).
> This is *dangerous*!  You should set yourself a common user and use
> only that.  root should be reserved for software installation and
> system configuration.

No, I just automatically put in # in my message, but when I do want to
run a command not accessible to user, I use sudo.

> > If my coding system turns out to be utf-16, how do I change it to utf-8?
>
> I am not aware of any locale configuration using UTF-16.

OK, then I'm barking up the wrong tree. But I should think the charset
for debian is defined somewhere.

Haines