arp slowness

I am trying to run 'nmap -sP xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24' and then 'arp -a' on two pcs
on two different networks.

On one woody box nmap runs as quick as I would expect...
  Nmap run completed -- 256 IP addresses (83 hosts up) scanned in 8 seconds

On another woody box on a different network it takes much much longer to run
and I am only trying to scan half as many.
  Nmap run completed -- 128 IP addresses (44 hosts up) scanned in 220
seconds

Furthermore, after the nmap ping scan, arp produces lots of mac addresses
for the faster nmap but only 2 mac addresses for the slower one.

I'm not sure how to progress this, I'm going over later to change the
physical port, to see if that might help.
Noone on that network has reported any problems.
The slow box has an old Tulip' nic of unknown history.

Any ideas ?

matt