Re: dhcpd/tftp server subservient to another tftp server

Kent West wrote:
Kent West wrote:

Kent West wrote:

When I boot the client pc ("bi-12x"), it gets the IP address 150.252.217.49 from my dhcpd/tftp server, as indicated by the BIOS's PXE messages. But then, instead of finding the pxelinux.0 file on my dhcpd/tftp server, it finds the campus's central RIS server instead.

I connected the dhcpd/tftp server and the client together via a hub, and the client finds both the dhcpd server (and gets the proper IP address) and the tftp server (and starts loading the appropriate linux boot stuff - it fails, but that's a problem for tomorrow).

However, if I don't connect the two machines together on their own isolated network, and instead connect them to the campus network the way I intend for them to be used, the client finds my dhcpd server, but still does not "find" my tftp server, instead opting to download files from the campus' main tftp server.

My network admin says there's nothing in the network that should be causing this.

Here's my current /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf file:

#
# Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd for Debian
#
# $Id: dhcpd.conf,v 1.1.1.1 2002/05/21 00:07:44 peloy Exp $
#

authoritative;
ddns-update-style none;
option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
log-facility local7;

        subnet 150.252.217.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  next-server 150.252.217.234;
  filename "/lts/2.4.22-ltsp-1/pxelinux.0";

host bi-12x {
  hardware ethernet 00:03:47:16:e2:61;
  fixed-address 150.252.217.49;
 }

}

I quarter-suspect that the problem may be in the netmask for the "subnet 150.252.217.0...." line, simply because I have no idea what number _should_ go here, so I just picked the old netmask we used to use on campus several years ago. Any other numbers I've tried there cause the dhcpd server to fail to start up.

I've tried with and without the "option root" line, and changed it to "/tftpboot/", and I've tried with and without the campus dns servers defined in this file, and with the domain name ("acu.edu") defined, and nothing I've done has solved my problem.

Hopefully one of you folks knows the answer.

--
Kent