Re: Wvdial and mysterious /dev/ttyS0 permission change

On 7. December 2003 at 10:52PM +0100,
Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> csj (<csj@zapo.net>) wrote:
>
> > On 7. December 2003 at 1:32PM -0500,
> > Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> wrote:
> >
> >> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >>>
> >> I used to have this exact same problem on my machine (except
> >> with /dev/ttyLT0, since it is a Lucent winmodem).  But I don't
> >> know that there is a solution.  Especially since I think that
> >> kppp would need to be suid root (not a good idea) to get past
> >> this problem.
> >
> > I've always wondered why it should require root-level access (or
> > its equivalent in the case of kppp) to set even the "safer"
> > config options in ppp and friends, e.g. the dialup number and
> > login password.  Couldn't there be a ppp group so that even
> > Friend X, sharing the dorm computer, could log-in to the ISP of
> > his choice without waking up the admin?
>
> You can of course use predefined connections with pon/poff if
> you are in the dip group, and you can create your own ones for
> use with kppp /without/ kppp being suid root, if you are in the
> dialout group.

It's the "predefined" part that's the problem.  Let's say I'm on
vacation and my friend borrows my computer.  He reads about a
promo from Dirt-Cheap-ISP and decides to subscribe.  How is he
going to enter his login details, without going root, to connect
to Dirt-Cheap-ISP?  It seems his only choice is kppp, which needs
to be suid root to make it user configurable.