Re: could not eject CDROM as a normal user: [solved]

on Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 04:06:11AM -0500, H. S. (greatexcalibur@yahoo.com) wrote:

> Earlier, I couldn't eject my CDROM as a normal user by using the "eject"
> command. I could mount it though. I could but eject the CDROM as root. I
> used to get:
> $> eject /cdrom
> eject: unable to open `/dev/cdrom'
>

> The problem was the group owner ship of my cdrom(it is linked to
> /dev/hdc in my case):
>
> earlier:
> usr/src# ls -l /dev/hdc
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hdc
>
> Then, (thanks to:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2000/debian-user-200012/msg04202.html
> where it is suggested *NEVER* to make a normal user a member of the
> 'disk' group), I changed it to:
> /usr/src# chown root:cdrom /dev/hdc
> /usr/src# ls -l /dev/hdc
> brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hdc
>
> And I am already a member of 'cdrom' group. Now I can use the eject the
> command as a normal user to open/close the CD tray.
>
> HTH somebody, since I don't recall getting a satisfactory answer when I
> asked this earlier a few weeks ago.
> regards,

Yes, this is the correct fix.

The reason not to make a normal user a member of the disk group is that
this generally gives read *and* write access to the raw disk device
itself.  This is a really good way to utterly destroy your data.

'cdrom' by contrast is generally read-only.  Far less harm possible.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux backups:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html