could not eject CDROM as a normal user: [solved]

Earlier, I couldn't eject my CDROM as a normal user by using the "eject" command. I could mount it though. I could but eject the CDROM as root. I used to get:
$> eject /cdrom
eject: unable to open `/dev/cdrom'

The problem was the group owner ship of my cdrom(it is linked to /dev/hdc in my case):

earlier:
usr/src# ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hdc

Then, (thanks to:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2000/debian-user-200012/msg04202.html where it is suggested *NEVER* to make a normal user a member of the 'disk' group), I changed it to:
/usr/src# chown root:cdrom /dev/hdc
/usr/src# ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hdc

And I am already a member of 'cdrom' group. Now I can use the eject the command as a normal user to open/close the CD tray.

HTH somebody, since I don't recall getting a satisfactory answer when I asked this earlier a few weeks ago.
regards,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)