chaning root prompt PS1 question

I have tried to find on the web how to change my root prompt. I tried setting the PS1 in /etc/profile but it seems that is not read when I do "su -" to change to root. But if I do "source /etc/profile" as root, I get my changes prompt, but then I loose the root environment. (BTW, setting PS1 in /etc/profile works in Fedora)

So in Debian, bash doesn't read /etc/profile when "su -" is executed? Where do I need to set PS1 so that I get that new prompt after "su -"?

(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)