Re: Unable to start kde session on display :1

Steinar Bang wrote:

Kent West <westk@acu.edu>:

Rather than use xinit, you might find it easier to just edit
/etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers to start up the second kdm session. I've had
two login sessions before (don't do it any more), and I believe this
is how I did it, but I no longer remember for sure.

My /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers file has the following at the end:

:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt7
:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt8
:2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt9
:3 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :3 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt10

Does this mean that it actually starts 4 X servers?  That doesn't seem
to be the case, so I guess the "reserve" keyword makes the difference?

What does "reserve" mean in this context?  There wasn't anything about
it in the comments of the file.

http://kde.cict.fr/kdebase/kdm/README

* reserve. A server marked as reserve is not started at KDM's startup time,
 but when the user explicitly requests it. See "Command FiFos" below.

--
Kent